ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting Closes September 12 at 11:29 p.m. on Concerns over deepening U.S.-China conflict over South China Sea issue
A series of foreign ministers’ meetings, attended by the Association of ASEAN-Southeast Asian Nations, as well as the United States and China, closed on December 12. ASEAN has issued a message u.S. urges self-control on the issue of the South China Sea, where the conflict between the United States and China deepens, but concerns about further tensions remain.
Mr. Min, Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Vietnam, held a press conference after a series of conferences in the form of videocon conferences.
He suggested that there had been discussions at several meetings on the deepening conflict between the United States and China over the disputed issue of the South China Sea, including military tensions, and said, “ASEAN does not want to be ceded in a conflict that threatens peace and stability in the region.”
At this meeting, ASEAN held a joint statement at the beginning of the Foreign Ministers’ Meeting of the 10 member countries and issued a message u.s. calling for self-control with both the United States and China in mind, while avoiding name-calling.
However, at the Foreign Ministers’ Meeting of the East Asia Summit held on the first night, both U.S. Secretary of State Pompeo and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi not only criticized the other country once again, but Also said that Foreign Minister Wang had participated in the recorded video, both of which are considered to have insisted unilaterally.
At the ARF-ASEAN Regional Forum held on December 12, both sides did not participate due to schedule reasons and stayed in attendance by representative government officials.
ASEAN wanted to ease tensions in the South China Sea through a series of meetings, but it was difficult to say that the dialogue had been fully used, and concerns about further tensions remained.