For more than 79 years, the USO-a private, nonprofit organization-has served the men and women of the US military, and their families, throughout their time in uniform-from the moment they join, through their deployments and as they transition back to their communities.
Today’s USO continuously adapts to the needs of our men and women in uniform and their families, so they can focus on their very important mission. We operate USO centers at or near military installations across the United States and throughout the world, including in combat zones , and even un-staffed USO service sites in places too dangerous for anyone but combat troops to occupy.
The Center Operations Manager is responsible for supporting the day-to-day operations at one or more USO centers as well as assisting with coordination, implementation and evaluation of creative, fun, and engaging USO programs, services, events and activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (* Essential Duties)
- Assist with management of day-to-day center operational procedures, ensuring a cost-effective, safe, welcoming, clean and well-maintained environment. Serve as knowledgeable resource related to local programs and services offered and available at area USO Centers. *
- Meet, greet, orient and assist visitors and guests. Maintaining relationships with US Military and local business community leadership to enhance awareness and generate financial / in-kind support of the USO mission as well as local operations, program and service delivery. *
- Supervise volunteers for general and program activities including recruitment, scheduling, oversight, training, development and recognition. Assist with supervision of USO staff. *
- Assist with program and operations communications and awareness. Compile and prepare announcements, stories, and photos for publication and distribution across multiple channels. *
- Operate center within approved budgetary guidelines, including cash handling. Maintain accurate inventory of supplies and assets. Provide information for consolidated financial, operational and statistical reports as requested. Provide any other ad hoc reports as required. *
- Control, safeguard and maintain the equipment and assets, fabric, furniture and fitments in the Center and maintain standards of cleanliness. Ensure that all applicable sanitary and food-handling regulations are followed. *
- Create and maintain a Standard Operating Procedure file that details local operational procedures and Center activities to enable prompt reporting, easy rotation and follow-on. *
- Perform assigned duties in the absence of Center Manager, and other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 2-4 years work experience in retail, customer service, recreation facility or related role. Relevant experience in a not-for-profit, military, multicultural and / or global organization preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service and problem-solving skills. Ability to interact with USO Leadership, the general public and military audiences at a variety of levels with integrity and professionalism.
- Proficiency using computers and electronics equipment. General knowledge of various software, applications, and programs including but not limited to volunteer management software, social media platforms, and Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with Digital Cheetah preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment related to controversial and / or culturally sensitive subjects. Ability to handle confidential information with tact and poise.
- Must show initiative, self-motivation, and attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities. Ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Ability to achieve desired results while working collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to perform basic math and follow proper cash / donation handling and reporting procedures, business / accounting functions including project management and budget reconciliation.
- Willingness and ability to work non-standard hours as needed.
- Ability to obtain and maintain proper credentials necessary to access USO Center locations and facilities including but not limited to security, credit and / or background screening, SOFA status, valid driver’s license.
- Must be a strong advocate of the USO’s mission.
- This is position located at Kadena Air Base in Okinawa, Japan. Preference will be given to local candidates within commuting distance to the location.
- Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.
United Service Organizations