Saitama, which has a strong image of a commuter town, actually has many attractive tourist destinations. The Tobu Zoo is full of spots that both adults and children can enjoy, such as the Railway Museum and Saitama Children’s Zoological Park. This time, we will deliver the advanced version of the obfuscated place name series in Saitama Prefecture. We have collected obfuscated place names that only people who live in can understand, so please try it.
Nishiasuma (Nishi-ku, Saitama City)
Nishiasuma is an area along the Arakawa River in Nishi-ku, Saitama City. It is an area with a lot of greenery, such as Nishiasuma Park, school and corporate grounds. ↓
↓ What is the answer?
Nishiasuma has been called “Yumakyo” since the Warring States period. Documents from the Edo period mention “Yuma Nittamura”, and you can see that it was called “Yuma” for a long time. It is said that “West” was added to Yuma in 1879 (Meiji 12). It seems that the west was added to the eastern Yuma in Soka City. By the way, the town name of Higashi Yuma in Soka City was changed from Higashi Yuma to Yuma Town in 1958 (Showa 33). There is a theory that the origin of the name “Yuma” is that it was a place where horses were free-ranged, and that it was between the low-lying areas along the Arakawa River. In the “Saitama Prefectural Place Name Magazine Revised New Edition”, a place with shallow water is called “Aso”, and “Ma” has a meaning of a gap, so “Asoma” may be correct instead of “Asuma”. Was interpreted as. The current Nishiasuma is famous for Nishiasuma Park. It is a comprehensive playground with two baseball fields, a soccer field, and ten tennis courts. In addition, there is a company called Yumaen that provides a business trip service for horse-drawn carriages and horses for horse riding, and it seems that Hakuba, on which Yoshimune Tokugawa, who plays Ken Matsudaira in “The Unfettered Shogun,” was riding, also belongs to this company. It is a spot where you can enjoy interacting with horses, such as holding training courses for pony trainers and various events.
Ikakko (Honjo City)
Ikakko in Honjo City is an area where houses and fields coexist along the Onnahori River. It is an area where restaurants are gathered moderately and it seems easy to live. ↓
↓ What is the answer?
In fact, there are a total of three Ikakko in Honjo City: “Ikakko”, “Higashiikakko”, and “Nishiikakko”. Both are neighboring areas, and before the Edo period, they were considered to be fifty children’s villages. In modern times, fifty children are read as “squid”, but according to the diary of the Edo period national scholar Tomokiyo Oyamada, they were called “squid”. In addition, in the historical material called Genroku Gocho, “Higashiikakko Village” is described as “Higashiikakko”, and it is thought that the reading was not completely unified. In addition, another theory is described in “Kita Musashi Famous Sites” edited by quoting various historical materials about regions such as Chichibu, Kodama, Osato, and Hiki. In the olden days, even 50 days after birth, there was an event to put rice cakes in children’s mouths as a “fifty-day celebration”. It is interpreted that this area also came to be called “squid” because “fifty days” was called “squid” in this event. By the way, the historically famous position called “Ikakko” was laid in Higashiikakko. This is a position built by the Kanto region during the Kyotoku Incident (1455-1843), which was the battle between Kanto region Uesugi and Koga Kubō Ashikaga. The Battle of Ikakko had a function as a base for about 20 years. In the current Higashiikakko, the fifty children themselves do not remain, but it seems that the remnants of the terrain remain.
Yukie (Ogawa-cho, Hiki-gun)
Yukie is a mountainous area where Tobu Takezawa Station on the Tobu Tojo Line is located. The neighborhood is dotted with facilities that make use of the vast land, such as golf courses and automobile factories. ↓
↓ What is the answer?
From the description of toughness in the document “Takezawa Village Water Book” in 1673 (the first year of Enpo), it can be seen that it was called toughness at least in the early Edo period. It is not clear why this place came to be called toughness, but toughness is one of the titles that has existed for a long time. Tolerance is sometimes called “Yukioi” or “Yugei”, and in ancient times it was the position that protected the imperial court. It’s hard to speculate, but since the place name is sometimes named by the person who ruled the place, it was ruled by a person who used to be a “person who had a tough job” or a person who called himself “tolerance”. Is there any? In Japan, there are many cases in which the title is the name, and there is also a person named Yukie. Ogawa Town, to which Yukie belongs, is an area known as the production center of Japanese paper. Since the Edo period, there have been many farmers who have been engaged in papermaking and paper sales. Records from the Meiji era indicate that it produces cocoons, silk thread, Japanese paper, and calligraphy. Ogawa Town is an elegant area called Little Kyoto in Musashi, and many old townscapes and buildings are left behind. Authentic experience events for making Ogawa Japanese paper are held at any time for four consecutive days, and you can learn how to make Japanese paper from scratch. Ogawa-cho, Little Kyoto, which arrives from Ikebukuro on the Tobu-Tojo Line in about an hour, is a perfect place for those who want to spend a peaceful time.
Ruyi (Ogose Town, Iruma District)
Ruyi in Ogose-cho, Iruma-gun is a green area with the course of the Iruma Country Club and forests and fields. By the way, “Ogose Town” is read as “Ogose Town”, and it seems that this is also an obfuscated place name. ↓
↓ What is the answer?
Ruyi is said to have been named after “Nyoirinji”, which had the principal image of Nyoirin Kannon. In addition to the Ruyi of Ogose Town, there are cases where Ruyi is read as “Neoi”, so it is probable that “Nyoi” became “Neoi”. By the way, as another example of calling Ruyi “Neoi” other than Ogose, there is the statue of Ruyi Kannon at Myoryuji Temple in Itoshima City, Fukuoka Prefecture, which is called “Neoi Kannon-sama”. It is very interesting that all Kannon images have changed to “Neoi” because it is the origin of this place that came to be called Ruyi. Only the statue of Ruyi Kannon is left in the current Ruyi, and it is designated as a designated cultural property of Saitama Prefecture. The statue of Nyoirin Kannon was made in 1162 (2nd year of Oho). It is the oldest Buddhist statue in the Kanto region whose year of production is known. Ogose Town is a region with a rich historical scent, with famous places associated with Ota Dokan. Dokan Ota is a Sengoku warrior who built Edo Castle before Ieyasu Tokugawa entered Edo. In Ogose Town and Kawagoe City, a campaign titled “Make Ota Dokan a Taiga Drama!” Is being held. If Dokan Ota is selected as the main character of the Taiga drama, Ogose Town will be in the limelight.
Between Sotogouma and Uchigouma (Satte City)
Sotogouma is an area along the Nikko Kaido located on the west side of the Gongendo River. There are many fields in the current Sotogouma area. Uchigouma is located on the south side of Sotogouma, and is also a peaceful area where Nikko Kaido runs in the center. ↓
↓ What is the answer?
Reading “Sotogouma” / “Uchigouma”
Sotogouma and Uchigouma are place names that have existed since before the Edo period. It is believed that it was originally the same village, but according to historical materials from 1649 to 1650 (around 2 to 3 years in Keian), it is already divided between foreign and domestic prefectures. It is said that Koma came to call Sotogouma and Uchigouma between Sotogouma and Uchigouma.
Certainly, Sotogouma is an area surrounded by rivers. In fact, there are areas in Niigata and Fukui prefectures that read “Koma” as “Koma”. However, it is not clear why the word “Uchigouma” was used for “Koma”. “Kokufu” is the land where the administration was located from the Taika Reform to the Heian period. Saitama Prefecture is a part of Musashi Province, and the national government of Musashi Province was located in Fuchu City, Tokyo. The distance from Satte City, where Sotogouma and Uchigouma are located, to the ruins of Fuchu’s Kokufu is about two hours by car, so it was not a place where you could easily move at that time. Although it is easy to understand how to name both foreign and domestic prefectures, there are still doubts about how to assign letters. The current Uchigouma area is famous for the 1,000 cherry blossom trees on the Gongendo Tsutsumi. Every year, during the Sakura Festival, a special bus runs from Satte Station, so if you like cherry blossoms, why not visit it once? How many obfuscated place names in Saitama Prefecture could you read? By exploring the mystery of obfuscated place names, I think we could get a glimpse of the unknown history of Saitama. Not only obfuscated place names, but also many place names are packed with unexpected origins and history, so it’s fun to look up place names that are related to you.Author: Ryoko Hirabayashi