At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Job title: Director, Worldwide HEOR Markets ROW, Japan & Intercon Lead
Location: Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Division: Worldwide (WW) HEOR Markets Rest of World (ROW)
Direct Manager: Group Director, WW HEOR Markets ROW, Japan & Intercon
Position Requirements & Description:
The WW HEOR Markets ROW team works closely with key markets ex-US to deliver reimbursement / access and demonstrate the value of our medicines. The WW HEOR Markets ROW Japan & Intercon team is part of the WW HEOR Markets ROW team and is dedicated to providing tailored cross portfolio HEOR support to Japan and the Intercontinental (Intercon) region, which markets in Latin-America, Central Eastern Europe & Middle East, and Asia-Pacific.
Markets in Intercon vary greatly in the maturity of their healthcare systems, their reimbursement frameworks, and the external environment is rapidly changing: Japan has introduced a formal Health Technology Appraisal (HTA) process in 2019; The reimbursement process in China is fast evolving, with submission dossiers for national reimbursement now requiring HEOR evidence; Key markets such as South Korea, Taiwan, Brazil and Argentina keep on strengthening cost-containment policies through established or emerging HTA frameworks. In addition, Real-World Evidence (RWE) is of growing importance to regulatory, reimbursement and patient access decisions.
It is therefore essential that the successful candidate has significant HTA experience, in-depth knowledge of healthcare systems across multiple countries within the geographic remit, and a sound understanding of how health economic and real-world evidence can enable and support positive reimbursement decisions and broad patient access. The successful candidate must also be able to demonstrate strategic thinking, strong communication and leadership skills, and a history of business acumen, as shown by successful past experience collaborating with cross-functional operators in a matrix organization.
- Deliver HEOR support across & within markets to enhance development of (long-term) integrated strategies and formulate HEOR activities & evidence generation that can enable timely, broad and sustained access to BMS medicines.
- Provide expert advice to local teams on HEOR methods, HEOR considerations as part of the clinical development program, RWE generation and dissemination, regulatory and access issues. Identify important trends and anticipates future changes and their impact on HEOR and access strategies.
- Define and implement HEOR activities (resource allocation, study plans, and timelines) in close collaboration with WW HEOR and VAP (Value, Access & Pricing) teams and in accordance with BMS Japan & Intercon Medical, R & D and Commercial / Access plans and priorities.
- Proactively work with WW HEOR indication leads and key functions such as Medical, Commercial and Market Access in World Wide and local markets to ensure that HEOR activities to support Japan & Intercon are fully integrated in the WW HEOR plans as well as broader Medical and Access activities / plans.
- Partner with WW matrix teams and local Market Access / HEOR teams to provide input into the planning of effective pricing and reimbursement strategies and HEOR plans to assist the maximizing of product lifecycle opportunities.
- Facilitate and encourage efficient interactions between WW and local HEOR teams as well as ensuring timely and effective transfer of knowledge and expertise to and between local teams. Identify and realise synergies across markets.
- Contribute to the development of local HE & OR / RWE capabilities. Promote local cross-functional understanding of HEOR, HTA and RWE.
- Foster both informal and formal cross-functional and geographical collaboration and research, including WW HEOR Markets Japan & Intercon representation aligned with Japan & Intercon senior management, the WW Medical Team, WW Brand Team and Markets interface.
- Act as a connection between WW and markets, influence across the enterprise creating effective and sustainable relationships within the matrix and positively influencing strategic development and commercialization decisions.
- Collaborate with relevant local, regional and WW internal teams, as well as with external organisations (eg PhRMA) to influence and shape the evolution of the HTA environment. Leverage market-specific HTA / payer insight to shape WW strategy and outputs.
- Contribute to a high performing team culture.
- Understand what is required to lead a culture of compliance with all appropriate policies and standard operating procedures; embed commitment to compliance within communications team practices; act as a role model demonstrating ethical and professional behavior consistently.
Desire Experience / Profile:
- Advanced degree (such as MSc, MPH, Pharm D, MD or PhD), preferably in a quantitative discipline such as epidemiology, health economics or health services research.
- Significant experience with medical / clinical / scientific studies, as well as Health Economics, Health policy, Epidemiology or Outcomes Research. Demonstrated experience conducting outcomes research, health economics research, health services research, HTA or conducting observational studies across at least five markets within geographic scope.
- Good working knowledge of healthcare market dynamics both in Europe and internationally. Knowledge of the drug development & commercialization process, HTA frameworks internationally, global reimbursement environment, and regulatory requirements. General experience and understanding of Market Access challenges internationally.
- Track record of strong liaisons with international thought leaders in the area of HEOR.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrated by experience in communicating with senior stakeholders and past experience working successfully in cross-functional teams and matrices (especially between global and local teams).
- Ability to balance strategic thinking with intricate planning and strong tactical execution; a good understanding of the key drivers of the business. Customer (internal and external) focused mind set.
- Capability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Ability to understand and respond to multiple internal and external customer demands.
- Track record of problem solving, team leadership and people management skills.
- Direct experience in leading, training and coaching colleagues or subordinates, particularly in a cross-cultural environment.
- Proactivity and high level of personal accountability.
- Strong project management skills – demonstrated by a track record of delivering relevant HEOR evidence, dossier adaptation, and scientific publications.
- Fluency in English both written and spoken – Desirable: working knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese or Mandarin.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.