Ms. Sakie, 43 years after the abduction of Megumi Yokota, returned to Japan as soon as possible at 12:45 a.m. on November 15.
It has been 43 years since Megumi Yokota was abducted by North Korea. Earlier, her mother, Sakie, 84, told reporters that it was “very difficult to find out why they couldn’t help after such a long time,” and asked the government to realize a return home as soon as possible through dialogue between the leaders of Japan and North Korea.
Megumi Yokota was abducted by North Korea while she was in school on November 15, 1977, 43 years ago when she was in her first year of junior high school.
And last month, I celebrated my 56th birthday.
Her mother, Sakie, looked back 43 years ago and said, “No matter how much I looked for it, I couldn’t find anything, and there were times when I was in a frenzy. At this time of year, I have a bad memory that my spine gets colder in the evening,” he said, “and I can’t really forgive you, and I feel so disgusted as to why I can’t help you after such a long time of hard work.”
Then, Sakie took out the “kusi” that her husband, Tora-san, who died in June, had always carryed with her.
This “kushiko” was given to Tora-san, who was on her birthday the day before Megumi was abducted.
As for Tora-san, Ms. Sakie said, “I tried so hard that I couldn’t even see her at a time, even though I had been waiting for more than 40 years. It’s unusual that there are only two active parents, including me, and I don’t think this really should happen.”
Finally, he said, “I want the government to move seriously for the return of abductees. I think the top-level talks are the most important thing, so I would like them to talk first,” he said, calling on the government to realize the return of all abductees as soon as possible through dialogue between the leaders of Japan and North Korea.
Niigata Prefectural Police Officer and Blank 20 Years
A former executive of the Niigata Prefectural Police, who was involved in the investigation shortly after Megumi’s whereabouts were lost, told NHK that the investigation situation at the time was not able to be found to be a case of abduction by North Korea.
Masayuki Kojima, 67, a former criminal director of the Niigata Prefectural Police Department and also a foreign affairs section chief investigating foreign spies, has been involved in the investigation of the missing Megumi since he was working at the police station.
Before that, North Korean operatives were arrested along the coast of the Sea of Japan, and police were on high alert, but Megumi’s disappearance was long being investigated as a general kidnapping case.
As for this, Mr. Kojima recalled, “In addition to Megumi’s age as a first-year junior high school student, the place where she was lost was a few hundred meters away from the coast, and the downtown area was also close,” and revealed that she did not suspect that it was abduction by North Korea at the time because of her “age” and “place of occurrence.”
As for the time when the incident occurred “after 6:30 p.m.,” he said, “It was thought that the infiltration and escape of the operatives into Japan was midnight at the time, and we were thys thrild that Megumi’s disappearance could not be connected with the activities of the operatives.”
On top of that, regarding the fact that it took 20 years to be recognized as a north Korean abduction case, Mr. Kojima said, “I have to say that the vigilance against North Korean operatives was less than it is now. I feel responsible as a police officer for not realizing that North Korea committed the crime, and I am very sorry for Megumi’s parents.”