The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Department for International Trade roles (DIT)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
Japanese investment into the UK has been a huge success story over recent years with over 1,000 Japanese companies established in the UK and 150,000 people employed directly by Japanese companies. The aim of this position is to support and grow Japanese investment in the UK in two of The most active and vital sectors for the UK economy, Life Sciences and Advanced Engineering and Manufacturing (AEM). Your base in Osaka will allow you to leverage the strong Life Sciences base in this region as you work with a team of 15 people in our Tokyo Embassy and Osaka Consulate, as well as a range of sector experts and partner investigation in the UK. AEM is also a priority sector for investment with the cutting edge UK R & D base and once in a century technological shift into EVs etc that the global automotive industry is currently facing with. You will also cover multiple sectors –chemicals, engineering, aerospace and space.
Your base in Osaka (please see more details on job locations below) will allow you to leverage the strong Life Sciences base in this region as you work with a team of 15 people in our Tokyo Embassy and Osaka Consulate, as well as a range of sector experts and partner agency in the UK.
You will work in a friendly and dynamic environment engaging both with colleagues in Japan and in the UK. This job offers excellent experience both of business and of government so can be a great career step for you.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve:
Promote the UK’s strengths to Japanese companies:
The Life Sciences and AEM teams support dozens of investment projects into the UK each year and your role will be to support Japanese companies based in western Japan with projects to invest in the UK.
- Support the Senior Investment Adviser (responsible for Life Science & Advanced Engineering & Manufacturing) by aiming to deliver investment projects (new investments into the UK and existing investors’ expansion) from this sector per annum and generate new project leads p / a.
- Support promotional events, inward and outward missions.
Engage effectively with Japanese target companies:
- Research, analyse and develop a target list of key Japanese companies to work with and then follow up either engaging directly with the companies yourself but also support the Senior Investment Adviser to deliver targeted company engagements.
- You will aim to support 3-4 investment projects from these sectors per annum and generate around 10 new project leads p / a on your own.
- Working to the senior managers of the team you will support including the Consul-General and arrange / accompany her company visits in western Japan.
High growth –engaging with the most dynamic start-up and scale up companies
Japan’s start up ecosystem is developing at pace and there are many smaller companies who are now looking to go global.
- You will support campaigns aimed at getting the most innovative smaller companies to set up in the UK.
- You will build up a rolling list of the key companies in your sectors of responsibility located in western Japan that do not currently have a significant base in the UK. You will build propositions for these companies and then set up meetings to present UK opportunities to them ..
- You will develop a strong understanding of the life sciences and advanced manufacturing ecosystems in Japan as well as the UK through your expanding list of business contacts.
Provide support to the team:
- Develop and update key documents on statistics, projects, budgets, and make sure that our database is updated.
Contribute to the wider work of the Embassy, including active role in the crisis response plan and exercises.
Collaborate with other teams to support on wider Embassy activities.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
Profile and manage admin and specific project budgets.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
Two key areas of focus will be:
(i) building up a knowledge of the key sectors which the post holder will work in. On the job training, presentations from sector specialists and potential Developing Sector Knowledge course in the UK.
(ii) building up influencing and sales skills through on the job training and DIT run courses like Effective Account Management or Consultancy Based Sales training courses would be useful.
The British Embassy offers comprehensive learning and development opportunities that will be fully available to the jobholder. We regularly run both work area specific training, as well as more general skills development in project management, finance, and leadership. Each year the job holder will be encouraged to use 5 development days to pursue job related and personal development goals.
All staff are required to take a role in the embassy’s crisis preparation and response. Full training will be provided for this and regular opportunities will be available to test and develop your skills.
The Embassy supports flexible working patterns, and can be agreed in consultation with your line manager.
*** Applications are welcome from all over Japan. We will make assessment based on the candidates’ preference and business needs
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Fluent Japanese language skills (JLPT level 1 or equivalent).
- Business level in English (IELTS band 7 or TOEIC 875 points or above or equivalent), with experience of working in an English speaking environment.
- Ability to work effectively in an increasingly digital environment (strong IT skills, ability to present online, knowledge of social media platforms)
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Degree in business or economics is desirable but not essential.
- Experience in a sales role in a private sector business.
- Experience working in an English speaking environment.
- Knowledge of the UK business environment and institutions.
- Experience of working in the AEM or Life Sciences sectors.
Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline Application deadline –day Application deadline –month Application deadline –year
7 January 2021
Type of Position
Working hours per week
Country / Territory
Type of Post
Number of vacancies
Starting monthly salary (JPY)
341,124 JPY per month (4,775,736 JPY per year including June and December bonus-equivalents)
Start Date Start Date –day Start Date –month Start Date –year
1 March 2021
Other benefits and conditions of employment
- 1 month salary bonus equivalents payable in June and December
- (Note: Salary may be reduced due to tax status)
- Commuting allowance of up to JPY35,000 per month (paid on an actual cost basis)
- 25 days paid annual leave (calculated pro rata)
- Health Insurance and Employee pension (kenko hoken / kosei nenkin)
- Employment Insurance (koyou hoken)
The applicant must have work authorization for Japan however if a foreign national, the British Embassy / Consulate General will support a visa application if required.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office