Uber’s mission is to create opportunity through movement. We started in 2010 to solve a simple problem: how do you get access to a ride at the touch of a button? More than 15 billion trips later, we’re building products to get people closer By changing how people, food, and things move through cities, Uber is a platform that opens up the world to new possibilities.
About Communications at Uber
The communications team is responsible for telling the story of how Uber is changing the way people, food, and things move around cities. Working with the media, our own social channels and third parties, we explain the benefits of ridesharing and e-hailing for We bring to life the ways Uber Eats is providing new opportunities for merchants and consumers through instant access to local commerce. And we promote the voices of the people who partner with Uber to earn on the platform.
To do that well, we build lasting relationships with the key news outlets and journalists in every country where we operate. And we work with marketing colleagues to amplify our storytelling, and the public policy team to make the positive case for reform.
About this Role
We are looking for someone to lead our safety communications efforts across Japan, based in Tokyo. You will report directly to the Head of Communications, Japan, and work closely with cross functional teams and leadership across our Mobility and Delivery businesses.
This role will involve:
- Planning and executing safety related proactive initiatives
- Rapid response media relations on safety –clarifying, fact checking and advocating
- Proactive press engagement and education
- Working with Uber’s global trust and safety, community operations and social media teams to tell our safety story, pitch tech and top tier press, and highlight our existing technology, under pressure
- Representing Safety Communications in cross functional discussions and decisions
- Partnering with global and regional communications team members to build safety-focused communications strategies, and campaigns, that promote and enhance the overall reputation of Uber
- Partnering with law enforcement and other public safety leaders
To succeed you’ll need to be:
- A self starter: Uber is a company of entrepreneurs and we want to work with people who enjoy building things from the bottom up too. Stuff changes fast in our world so you’ll need to be highly adaptable as well as calm under pressure
- A great advocate: We’re looking for people who can distill complex ideas into simple, honest and compelling communications backed up by intellectually credible arguments. You’ll need to write well and have the creative ability to tell stories–about our product, culture, people and the ways we’re helping to improve life for users, earners and cities.
- Experienced spokesperson: Strong media relations experience and expertise
- A strong influencer: We succeed by building effective relationships, and using those relationships to enable the best possible outcome for the Uber brand. You’ll have a bias for action in everything you do–and a willingness to engage in debates with a track record of making data-driven decisions.
- A team player: Success at Uber depends on the ability to organize different teams (internally and externally) around shared goals. It’s why we’re looking for well organized people who enjoy working with others to get stuff done–and who can deal with the ambiguity that sometimes comes from working cross-functionally.
What the Candidate Will Need / Bonus Points
Ideally you would have 10+ years communications experience with a proven track record of managing complex communications and issues management –either for a company, a third party or in government. But we’re open to people who’ve been successful in other walks of life (eg the law, media, working for law enforcement) who intuitively get this stuff and may be looking for a career change.
–Native-level proficiency in Japanese, Business-level English
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.