Uber is a technology company that is transforming the way the world thinks about transportation and reinventing the way we move people and things. We are building technology that people use every day. Whether it’s heading home from work, having a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant , or offering an opportunity to earn extra income; Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We’re making cities safer, smarter and more connected and we’re doing it at a global scale by energizing local economies while bringing opportunities and solutions to millions of people around the world.
This is a unique opportunity to be a member of the Uber Business Development Organization. As Director, Head of Business Development for Japan, you’ll have the opportunity to shape and deliver a plan to scale usage of the Uber platform (mobility and delivery) among hundreds of millions of consumers in the region.
Your responsibilities will include leading the Business Development team for Japan and driving the necessary business relationships at the C-level with JP based partners to establish partnerships that:
(1) accelerate growth of Uber users
(2) increase supply available on the Uber platform
(3) increase Uber’s profitability and
(4) accelerate Uber’s platform strategy.
We need a highly strategic, analytic, creative and driven leader with a demonstrated track record of negotiating, executing and managing high-value partnerships with large, complex, and global partners, spanning both private and public sectors. You’ll be on the frontlines. generating new business development opportunities for Uber while maintaining and expanding existing ones.
To succeed in this role, you will need a keen sense of responsibility, initiative and an ability to inspire. You should feel comfortable working autonomously and in a team environment.
Successful candidates will bring a dynamic combination of IQ and EQ, an ability to think strategically and execute tactically, and strong interpersonal skills to maximize value in partnership negotiations. Someone who enjoys managing multiple deals in a complex but exciting environment, and is willing to put their energy to build long-lasting partnerships with high profile companies and unlock significant growth for Uber.
Essentially, a business-oriented strategist and negotiator with a sense of responsibility and initiative, capable of building partnerships to support a variety of high-priority Uber initiatives and who is comfortable working autonomously and in a team environment.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with Japan cross-functional leadership to formulate strategy and identify how to drive extraordinary impact to business priorities through business development activities.
- Pursue, evaluate, support negotiations and ensure execution of top business development opportunities in the region while working with key internal stakeholders (eg product, engineering, operations, legal, etc.).
- Lead business development from a cohesive lens across multiple domains: vehicles, financial services, safety, risk, payments, media, events, airports, travel, public transportation etc.
- Set, track and report on partner performance metrics and give business reviews to Uber’s C-level management team regarding progress in the business development space.
- Handle a high volume of engagements and the fast pace of our company.
- Support in the development of long term, mutually beneficial relationships with senior executives of current and prospective partners.
What You Will Need:
- Around 20 years of experience in business development with exposure to the tech industry, management consulting, investment banking, private equity, or corporate M & A experience –we will consider candidates with less experience if they meet our other requirements.
- Experience with establishing, maintaining and leveraging C-level relationships at partner companies and extensive senior-level relationships with business leaders across multiple industries including technology and mobility.
- Analytical skills with ability to combine business, strategy, finance and legal concepts to lead complex, multi-faceted deals.
- Experienced in cultivating, negotiating, and growing business partnerships.
- Strong interpersonal skills that allow you to build trust and negotiate hard with partners, and adeptly manage the cross-functional coordination (product, local operations, engineering, finance, legal) required to implement deals.
- Adept at building and delivering presentations.
- Adaptability to change within a fast-paced corporate environment.
- Professional proficiency in English and Japanese.
- Undergraduate in Economics, Business, Engineering, or another quantitative focus area. MBA or equivalent highly desired.
Leadership and Management:
- A passion for excellence with the ability to inspire others to the highest standards through leading by example
- Committed to attracting and retaining the brightest minds from all backgrounds, while cultivating the power of a diverse organization.
- Inspires teams to accomplish goals and objectives; responds quickly to complex situations to problem solve, while effectively working across the organization
- A strategic forward-thinker with a participatory management style and team-building skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to influence decision making without having formal authority. The successful candidate will have the maturity and empathy to resolve potential issues when working with multiple personalities.
- Responds quickly to complex situations to problem solve, while effectively working across the organization.
- Credibility and gravitas to garner the respect of the executive team, People team, as well as other stakeholders.
- The successful candidate will bring, through past successes, immediate credibility as an extremely capable business leader and expert.
- Able to balance the role of the strategist with urgency while simultaneously managing delivering results in a growing and very fast-paced environment.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.