Reporting to the SSTB President, the Internal Controls Director will be responsible for enhancing our organization’s internal control system, this includes detecting and elimination of risk and compliance related issues and ensure SSTB is in full compliance with the relevant regulations.
Why this role is important to us
The team you will be joining is a part of State Street Global Services (SSGS). SSGS gives asset owners and managers access to the essential financial tools they need to deliver effective investment solutions. From core custody, accounting, fund administration and shareholder recordkeeping, to complete operations solutions and servicing for alternative assets like OTC derivatives, private equity and real estate, SSGS’tools help our clients make better investment choices and act on growth opportunities.
Join us if making your mark in the financial services industry from day one is a challenge you are up for.
What you will be responsible for
As Internal Controls Director you will
- Proactively identify and escalate any issues and weaknesses in the governance structure and promote the governance requirements as identified within the State Street model
- Proactively engage with Ethics, AML, Privacy, Compliance, Risk Management and other control groups across State Street as required
- Monitor changes in relevant legislations and the regulatory environment
- Review developments in corporate governance, facilitate the induction of new directors and advise and assist Directors with respect to their duties and responsibilities, and compliance with company laws
- Provide oversight and guidance to Corporate Secretary team and implement procedures to facilitate compliance with relevant regulatory and legal requirements
- Work with Enterprise Risk Management team to identify risks and develop preventive strategies
- To be in charge of corporate governance management systems, such as custom protection management systems
- Be the main contact with internal auditors and lead remediation of audit findings
- Chair the Risk and Compliance Committee (RCC) meetings, this includes overseeing the development of agenda, host the bi-weekly RCC and challenge presenters both prior to and at the RCC to ensure full review have taken place and are in compliance with our rules and regulation
- Chair the local Deal Team meeting by keeping customer protection principle in mind to ensure any of the deals that pass through the Deal Team process are fair to all parties. Escalate any irregularities with Deal Team matters to Board of Directors / Executive Committees, and finally, represent SSTB with the President at APAC Deal Review
What we value
These skills will help you succeed in this role
- Embraces State Street’s “corporate values” and support a work environment reflective of those values
- Understanding of compliance and the regulatory environment
- Ability to work effectively with executive management levels
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Self-motivated and capable of working independently as well as be an effective collaborator
- Demonstrates effective time management skills and has proven ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Good track records with increasing responsibilities in your specialized field or expertise
Education & Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- JSDA Internal Control Manager qualifications a plus
- Extensive experience (15+ years) Japan financial (preferably banking and trust banking) regulatory environment experienced gained in compliance, risk management and / or internal control in a financial services environment
- Intensive experience in facing the Japanese regulators
- Good working knowledge of the conduct of business rules and local regulatory requirements that relate to financial industry such as Banking Act, FIEA etc.
- Demonstrated competence in verbal and written communication in both Japanese and English