Job Title: Package Technologist Japan
Segment / Business Unit: Japan Multisales
Function: R & D
Job Level: T1
Location / Site: TOK (Shinagawa / Tokyo)
Line Manager: R & D Senior Manager Japan
Job Purpose / Overview
Japan has Co-man (1 factory) and Co-packers (3 factories) which are critical business drivers for MARS Japan Pet Care and MWC segments. This position is responsible to manage package development at Japan Co-man & Co-packers to meet consumer / customer needs, local regulations and MARS Global Quality Standards.
The role is responsible for delivering growth ambition through new package development and MARS package sustainability 2025 goal related to Co-man & Co-packers and responsible to optimize the package costs through continuous implementation of material cost saving.
- Lead end-to-end packaging and process development activities by collaborating with Japan Mktg and SCM associates under supervision of Japan Packaging manager, including discovery and translation of meaningful consumer-insights into feasible packaging design solutions, prototype sample development, Packaging document preparation, Packaging Testing, Line Trials, Commissioning, Validation and Start up.
- Execute the strategy of delivering Packaging Sustainability solutions by collaborating with Japan SCM associates to meet MARS Global Packaging Sustainability target by 2025.
- Identify and implement Packaging cost improvement program.
- Represent Package Development team in communication and meeting with internal cross-functional team, suppliers and co-man on package related matters.
- Ensure consumer-relevant KQAs are delivered through DfVS framework.
- Ensure all packaging design and spec meet and comply with MARS Global Product and Packaging Quality standards and systems.
- Manage package related system implementation and on-going maintenance.
- Continue to learn the latest packaging technology by running competitors’ analysis and learning from external industries and suppliers.
- Connect with Asia Regional packaging community with Japan Packaging Manager.
- Support Asia & global package associates by executing domestic transportation tests.
Context and Scope
- The job holder is responsible to lead Package Development (Innovations, sustainability, DiB) under Japan Packaging Manager supervision at Japan Co-man & Co-packer. The scope is to cover both Pet Care and MWC.
- The job holder is responsible to work closely with Japan SCM team to develop and deliver Japan Co-packer strategy to support Japan business needs.
- The job holder needs to work closely with MARS Japan internal associates in Japan Demand functions (ie Mktg, Sales and DC), R & D, Commercial, SCM, EMQA and external partners in Co-man & Co-packer and suppliers.
- The job holder should stay connected with Asia Regional packaging community.
Job Specifications / Qualifications
1. Education & Professional Qualification
- Bachelor or higher degree in Science or Engineering.
- Minimum 3 years of working experience in Packaging development either at packaging suppliers or at food and / or FMCG manufactures.
2. Knowledge / Experience
- Strong technical competency in various materials and formats of packaging for food and / or FMCG products eg, flexible package, retortable pouch, Display carton and corrugated shipper
- Basic knowledge of processed food manufacturing, especially packing process and packing system / machine
- Good understanding of quality management
- Experience to translate consumer insights into package specifications
- Experience to develop mock-up by himself / herself to practice design thinking approach
- Conduct data analysis (ie validation data etc.) by himself / herself
- Able to work independently with OJT training
- Proactively build network with internal and external partners
- Highly proactive, self-driven and self-awareness
- Good Teamwork, project management, communication and presentation skill
- High curiosity and eager to learn and improve
- Positive thinking. Willing to accept and deal with challenges and is able to work under pressure
- Good Command of spoken and written English
Level of role, Critical MLCs and Competencies
Level of Role: Individual Contributor
- Delivers Consistent Results
- Creates Collaborative Relationships
Key Supporting Competencies
1. Technical & Functional Skills
3. Action oriented
4. Conflict management
5. Customer focus
6. Peer relationship
Key Functional Competencies & Technical Skills
- Packaging material, conversion processes, packing process and machinery.
- Industry research including patent analysis
- Understanding package related regulations
- Packaging Testing Method
- Risk assessment and management skill
- Project Management, Communication and Presentation skill
(refer to http://www.talentdevelopment.mars)